Server Load (1 viewing) 
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Server Load
TOTAL MEDIA PC
Junior Boarder
User Offline
Re:Server Load Karma: 0  
Hi again.

I'm afraid there is a problem with your extension.
My server is quite strong and with 40% setting in server load my server hits 80% with 100 users in the chat.
This is not normal. Mysql hits over 100% with insert queries running on esrwn_jchat_public_readmessages which for 3000 messages has hit over 1,5 million records.

Is there anything that can be done to improve this? I really like your extension but gives our server a really hard time.

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Offline
Re:Server Load Karma: 79  
Hi again,

i don't think that it's a problem, but rather how it works.

If you have 100 concurrent users the stream weight is considerable. 100 concurrent users using the public chat are quite a lot, there is no way to change/improve this because each users using the chat place queries. The only workaround is disabling the public chat and keep only the private chat, or limit the usage only to certain users groups.

Logged Logged  
TOTAL MEDIA PC
Junior Boarder
User Offline
Thanks for your answer.

My requirement is that all my subscribers who may be more than 100, to be able to chat together. I don't understand the difference between public and non public. If those 100 users talk together in a private room will this change anything?
Right not I have the public chat open but is only accessible by a certain user group. This user group however has a lot of members and is expected to grow even more.
Should I look for something else instead of a chat solution? Maybe shoutbox?

Thank you in advance?

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Offline
Well i think that you can't have a chat solution with 100 members or even more without consume your server resources.
100 concurrent members generate a huge amount of traffic, there is nothing to do to avoid this.
If you want to not overload your server maybe you should try an alternative approach, based on hosted chat or shoutbox that runs on third party and remote servers.
By the way i meant public chat as the public window with chatrooms, against to the private chatboxes that can be opened one-to-one between users.

Logged Logged  
TOTAL MEDIA PC
Junior Boarder
User Offline
Hi.

I'm still trying to figure out a way of using jchat for my situation.
I thought that If I enable chat as a module that this might consume less server resources. The idea is that the module will be present in a single page and it will not load every time a user navigates through my site's pages. Will this save resources?
Furthermore, I would like to know the users are logged in the chat. I mean that I have enabled chat as a module and I have given access only to super users for test purposes, however I see 30-40 users in the chat although I know they cannot see the chat. Does this consume resources or are they just shown as logged in?
The whole idea is that although there might be 200 users logged in, not all of them will want to use the chat.

Any thoughts on the above?

Thank you.

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Offline
Hi,

of course if you limit the chat usage it will be effective, less users = less resources

But you don't need to use it as a module, in the chat configuration there are settings to limit the chat app to cerain page only excluding it and to limit the usage for certain access levels.

Cheers,
John

Logged Logged  
Go to top