Please Login to access forum.
Re:WWW vs. non-WWW URIs (1 viewing) 
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Re:WWW vs. non-WWW URIs
Donald H White
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
[SOLVED]WWW vs. non-WWW URIs Karma: 0  
I changed a Website to use the 'www' prefix but JSitemap Pro hasn't reflected that change. I changed the Google Analytics and Search Console properties of the site and the site shows now as "http://www.mysite.com'. The HTML Sitemap shows the 'www' prefix on the site but not in JSitemap Pro. The LInk Analyzer doesn't analyze the links.

What must I do? Thanks!

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
Re:WWW vs. non-WWW URIs Karma: 79  
Hi Donald,

i don't know how you configured the site so i'ma bit lost to tell you exactly why this happens. Normally Joomla and also JSitemap resolves dynamically the domain. Of course ensure to login also in backend using the domain with the WWW. prefix.

By the way the easiest way to ensure that a particular domain is used for the sitemap is using the parameters visible in the attached screenshot. Also clear completely the cache to ensure that the sitemap is refreshed.

Greetings,

John

Logged Logged  
Benjamin Pietras
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Re:WWW vs. non-WWW URIs Karma: 0  
I am having the same problem. When I change the Live site in configuration.php to www, the html sitemap module shows in my footer. When I leave it blank it will only show without the www. I need it to show either way.

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
Re:WWW vs. non-WWW URIs Karma: 79  
Hello Benjamin.

Your problem seems completely different from that of Donald, that was related to the backend, You are talking about a sitemap shown inside a module in the frontend if i'm right. Also the fact that a module is visible or not relating to the domain prefix makes no sense.

The Joomla configuration.php should have the $live_site variable always blank as by default. Joomla resolves the domain dynamically, based on the domain you are using to visit the website, with www. or without www. All the components of Joomla and thus also the sitemap will reflect the current domain version.

Of course notice that it's not good that your site will have 2 domains, www and not-www. Google requires that you set a preferred domain and that will be the one correctly indexed and shown in search results. Don't carry on a double domains website to avoid penalties.

Logged Logged  
Benjamin Pietras
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
You are right it is a different issue sorry. Leaving live site blank seems to have fixed my issue.

Logged Logged  
Donald H White
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Thanks, John. Your suggestion worked but I found I needed to remove and restore the Joomla Website. Why? When I established it, I had set the site URL to exclude "www". Since I needed to have the base URL include the "www," I had to backup all files and the database, remove the site, and restore it so that I could reset the original site URL configuration. After I did that (took about 5 minutes with a very popular tool that I will not name on your store site), everything works as I want it to.

Cheers,

Don

Logged Logged  
Go to top