Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login to access forum.
htaccess and multi sites robots.txt (1 viewing) 
Go to bottom
TOPIC: htaccess and multi sites robots.txt
ACTIV’H.A
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
htaccess and multi sites robots.txt Karma: 0  
Hello

We just bought JSiteMap Pro which seems a very nice component, congrats !

However we have a little set up problem. Our website uses several domains and subdomains with the same install and BDD, meaning that we only have one root.

We wanted to make several robots.txt files for each domains and added a rule to htaccess :
# Rewrite URL for robots.txt
RewriteRule ^robots\.txt$ robots/%{HTTP_HOST}.txt [L]

Then we created the folder robots with several files as domain1.txt and domain2.txt in the robots folder.

However it does not seem that JSiteMap Pro uses these files but only the one used in the root.

Is it possible to use JSiteMap pro with such a configuration where we would like to have different sitemap and different robots files for each of our two domains ? it seems that htaccess rules has no impact on JSiteMap pro reading and writing on robots.txt

Thanks for the help
Jean

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
Re:htaccess and multi sites robots.txt Karma: 79  
Hello Jean,

thank yo so much.

Sorry but i've never heard about this kind of configuration before, i've even not experience about this kind of robots.txt management done through the htaccess and if it really works for Google, but i assume yes if you use it.

However it's not possible at all manage automatically all these sub files from the backend of JSitemap, you have to edit the single robots.txt manually and add the sitemap entries changing the domain accordingly. The component always assume that there is the canonical robots.txt in the root and edit that file, it's a component and works at PHP level filesystem so a htaccess file for the frontend website is not effective and involved at all.

Cheers,
John

Logged Logged  
ACTIV’H.A
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Re:htaccess and multi sites robots.txt Karma: 0  
Hello John

Thanks you for your answer.
In fact this is a set up used for multi domains magenta store that we copied
But maybe that if I explain more you could advise that it's not useful with your own experience ?

We have a main domain at https://activ-ha.com and another one at https://site113.com with a 301 redirect to the first one.
We only use site113 for subdomains used by our users like username.site113.com ,then providing them with a small website using the resources of our main one and allowing them to pin their blog items.

What we want to achieve is a good SEO for our mainwebite targeting our specialities and know how and another SEO for each or our subdomain users with only main page and their blog page items.

How do you thing that JSiteMap pro could help us achieve this ?

Thanks for helping

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
Re:htaccess and multi sites robots.txt Karma: 79  
Hello Jean,

i understand a bit more. I don't think that you can have a real full control over SEO if each subdomain are not running as independent installations of Joomla with different links, meta data, etc

I would focus on the main website using JSitemap to provide good sitemap, meta data and fix possible SEO issues.

If you want to talk with a SEO expert contact me at This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it i can let you talk with my partner guy.

Cheers,
John

Logged Logged  
Go to top