J!Extensions Store™
Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login to access forum.
Jsitemap custom 404 error page problem (1 viewing) 
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Jsitemap custom 404 error page problem
Fotis
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Jsitemap custom 404 error page problem Karma: 0  
Hi,
I want to customize the 404 error page via Jsitemap but I have a strange problem.
I'm using Joomla 3.5.1 and protostar template.
When I had an old template (not responsive) I had made a custom 404 error page via an article in a Hidden menu and Joomla used that article as custom 404 error page.

Now with the protostar template, I read that in folder protostar there is a file error.php that joomla using this instead of system/error.php.

I modified the protostar/error.php file with a simple text via FTP and when I wrote an invalid URL then this 404 error page displayed correctly with the text I had wrote in protostar/error.php.

So now when I go to Jsitemap Configuration/General preferences/404 page and I'm trying to create there an HTML or a simple text 404 page but it still continues to display the previous text I created in protostar/error.php and not the custom 404 error page I made in Jsitemap.

The selections I made in Jsitemap/404 error page are these :

Custom 404 page contents ------> YES
404 page override mode ------> YES
Custom contents type ------> BOTH (I tried HTML and TEXT)
Custom contents ------> I tried HTML and simple text)

Now I tried to delete via FTP the protostar/error.php but when I wrote an invalid URL then the default Joomla 404 error page was displayed and again not the Jsitemap 404 page I created. I also tried the old way I found in Google with a custom article in a hidden menu but also it dosen't work!

Can you advise me to do something, or am I do something wrong?

Thank you!

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
Re:Jsitemap custom 404 error page problem Karma: 79  
Hi,
regarding JSitemap feature for custom 404 page you have only to ensure that the plugin 'System - JSitemap Utilities' is published. Other than that it works, you can even try to switch '404 page override mode' to 'NO'

If not working ensure that on your website there are not other extensions/plugins installed to manage the 404 page, such as sh404sef. maybe another extension is overriding the Joomla 404 page management.

Best regards

Logged Logged  
Fotis
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Re:Jsitemap custom 404 error page problem Karma: 0  
Thanks for your answer John,
I checked and the plugin is enabled.
Also I don't have sh404sef or any other similar software. I have Admin tools, K2, kunena etc and all of them are from the beggining... I Just switched to template protostar (it's Joomla template).

Do you want to send you the admin account to check this or have you any other suggestion where or what else to check?

Thanks

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
Re:Jsitemap custom 404 error page problem Karma: 79  
Hi Fotis,
well indeed i've no clue about what could prevent the normal 404 page to show in your Joomla, the Protostar template can't be the problem because it's part of the Joomla core. So i guess that there is some other plugin altering the 404 page Joomla management.
Eventually try to have a look at 'System' plugins installed, you have my email address if you need to communicate with me for an admin access.

John

Logged Logged  
Fotis
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Hi John, I searched in plugins but I didn't find anything.
I sent you the codes for admin access to have a look if you want.

Thank you very much

Logged Logged  
Fotis
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
I want to thank John for his help to spend time to help me with my problem!
Thank you John

Logged Logged  
Go to top