Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login to access forum.
Re:Lastmod generation problem: showing always current date for articles without "Modified Date" field! (1 viewing) 
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Re:Lastmod generation problem: showing always current date for articles without "Modified Date" field!
chris
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Lastmod generation problem: showing always current date for articles without "Modified Date" field! Karma: 0  
Hi John!

I'm having some trouble with sitemap.xml generation. Jsitemp is showing bad <lastmod> entries with wrong date : mass of content with current date only!

JSitemap seems to generate a <lastmode> for each article without having a "Modified Date" field...

and I'm using ObRSS with now more than 7000 articles (with automatic creation) where Modified Date field is not generated...

So as a result, JSitemap is parsing articles and generating a bad sitemap with a huge number of <lastmode> for old articles (ObRSS)
Bots are then not able to identify new real legitimate articles with correct <lastmode> VS those without modified data, with a <lastmode> throwing the current time....
I've searched but ObRSS is not giving chance to create/force this "Modified Date"....

All hand written articles are correctly parsed by Jsitemap, with correct lastmod date.

My SEO is not progressing and indexation is not going so well maybe it's coming from this <lastmod> consideration. (lots of page, bad lastmod...)

I don't want to disable <lastmode> as it's efficient for bots for new content, but want to correct this f***g problem!

My sitemap: https://www.akaoma.com/index.php?option=com_jmap&view=sitemap&format=xml&lang=fr

Any idea John??!! How to solve???
Thanks again for your expertise!
Chris

PS:The problem is not coming from your latest 4.2 release as it was same before, but I didn't catch this clearly before...

Here is a sample:
<url>
<loc> https://www.akaoma.com/ressources/cve/bypass-something/7735-cve-2016-1461
</loc>
<lastmod>2016-08-05T14:12:38Z</lastmod>
<changefreq>daily</changefreq>
<priority>0.5</priority>
</url>
<url>
<loc> https://www.akaoma.com/ressources/cve/bypass-something/7755-cve-2016-5668
</loc>
<priority>0.5</priority>
</url>
<url>
<loc> https://www.akaoma.com/ressources/cve/bypass-something/7756-cve-2016-5667
</loc>
<priority>0.5</priority>
</url>

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
Re:Lastmod generation problem: showing always current date for articles without "Modified Date" field! Karma: 79  
Hi Chris,

yes obviously this is the predefined behavior. If the article has a last modified date it's used, if not the current time is used as a lastmod as a fallback. By the way this is correct and can't give any SEO issues as a consequence.
It's better to show to Google that articles get modified with current date than leave it empty.

And obviously if your articles have not a last modified date, the only thing you could do is removing completely the tag from the xml sitemap if you don't want the current date.

If you really want to keep it, i would suggest to specify a last modified date by hand in the database for all your oldest articles. I can't see any other chance.

John

Logged Logged  
chris
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Re:Lastmod generation problem: showing always current date for articles without "Modified Date" field! Karma: 0  
Thanks for your really fast answer and support as usual!

Could you give me some tips please:
- how to proceed to change those 7000 articles? (in order to copy generated date into modified date ?)
what's the best solution: is there any joomla extension ? or do I have to create a SQL request (without breaking my website

Kind regards,
Chris

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
Re:Lastmod generation problem: showing always current date for articles without "Modified Date" field! Karma: 79  
Thanks Chris,

personally i would do this using directly phpMyAdmin.
You can export data directly from the database table in CSV format, so you can elaborate it with Excel for example and import back all data including the desired last modified date.

Another approach could be run some SQL queries in phpMyAdmin to update certain articles with the desired last modified date, for example if you now they are in a particular category, etc

Kind regards
John

Logged Logged  
Go to top