Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login to access forum.
Search engines metainfo on a staging/testbed version of site? (1 viewing) 
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Search engines metainfo on a staging/testbed version of site?
Onion Marketing Ltd
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Search engines metainfo on a staging/testbed version of site? Karma: 0  
1. Am I correct in saying that Search engines metainfo uses the link to determine whether to use the meta-data?

Therefore, if my URL is staging.mywebsite.com there is no point in filling in the information using JSitemap because that URL will change when I go to the live site?

2. I assume the information shown is article related, so there is not a menu item etc.

3. what is the performance hit from using this system? I know it is an override system, it would be good if we could see the difference perhaps. Perhaps if there was a way to edit things from the SEO spider window? Currently, it shows all articles, it would be better to filter them in a priority order. Maybe some filter dropdowns would work?

1. Articles that have a main menu item link
2. Articles that have any menu item link (maybe?)
3. Articles that have no title/description
4. Articles that have no title
5. Articles that have no description
6. Articles with a short title
7. Articles with a short description
8. Articles with a long title
9. Articles with a long description

It is quite tempting just to hit "autofill" because then things are populated already, but since this is meant to be an override system, that makes little sense. That is why I have asked about the performance hit using this plugin.

Best,
Eoin

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Offline
Re:Search engines metainfo on a staging/testbed version of site? Karma: 79  
The metainfo dashboard is a system based on single URL with the main purpouse to make it easier to manage meta link by link instead that going through the complex Joomla override system, component, category, menu, article, etc

Obviously the system addresses unique links, so if you change l inks you change/lose metainfo associated. You can fill them in the live site or fill them in the staging domain then export/import as can be done when you change domain and explained at this FAQ: https://storejextensions.org/faq/i-changed-the-website-domain-how-may-i-avoid-to-lose-all-metainfo.html

The question of performance/override makes no sense, there is no impact on the performance of the Joomla execution when setting a certain value for the metatitle, metadesc, etc

The metainfo dashboard would not be done to be completely filled in as when you click auto populate, current meta values can be seen in the SEO Spider. However someone like to see everything filled in with the current Joomla values, so there is the possibility to use this feature: https://storejextensions.org/faq/opening-the-search-engines-metainfo-dashboard-it-s-empty-why.html

Best,
John

Logged Logged  
Onion Marketing Ltd
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Re:Search engines metainfo on a staging/testbed version of site? Karma: 0  
Ok great, that's an easy workaround so we can deal with that.

I don't understand why there is no performance implication. Surely it is using a plugin or something to change the existing meta-data in the URL? Do you mean the performance implication is minimal? It is not changing the data in the original item, which I personally would have preferred, then the performance implication would be in the back end only.

QUOTE:
The meta info dashboard would not be done to be completely filled in as when you click auto populate

Does this mean you should not fill in all of the meta data here, only some of the ones you need? I understand the benefit of the system, as clearly filling them in multiple places in Joomla! is a Royal PITB, but I'm confused as to whether we should consider not using it for any reason

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Offline
Re:Search engines metainfo on a staging/testbed version of site? Karma: 79  
Yes it's thought to fill in only meta data overrides that are needed, when needed to improve them.

i don't know why there should be a performance implication in this feature, there is a Joomla API to set meta data and doing this simply operation in a system plugin has no impact at all. it's not minimal it's almost non-existent.

Logged Logged  
Go to top