J!Extensions Store™
Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login to access forum.
Sitemap xml results in 500 Error (1 viewing) 
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Sitemap xml results in 500 Error
Dagens Puls Aps
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Sitemap xml results in 500 Error Karma: 0  
When I try to enter the sitemap xml produced by jsitemap
Code:

http://mysite.dk/index.php?option=com_jmap&view=sitemap&format=xml
in the browser, I get a HTTP 500 error. I have other sites on other servers, where there is no problem with the sitemap xml. What might be wrong. Any suggestions

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
Re:Sitemap xml results in 500 Error Karma: 79  
You could have too many links in the sitemap for example, causing a timeout or memory limit exceed. Or you could have some bugged plugin installed causing an error with XML documents.

Check the server error log or enabled the debug mode in JSitemap and the error reporting in the Joomla global configuration. In this way you will be able to visualize the exact reason of the error.

Also, if the problem is the number of links, you can just unpublish some data source to reduce them and check if it was that.

Logged Logged  
Jean-Charles C-Jay
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Re:Sitemap xml results in 500 Error Karma: 0  
Hello,

I have a similar problem.

I have a big Kunena forum with ten of thousands URLs and I need to generate a XML Sitemap. If I publish the Kunena topic data source, I have a 500 error.

What can I do ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
Hello, almost all answers to your questions are well detailed in the documentation.

i don't know the exact amount of links on your site, but if for example you have 150.000 links generating a whole sitemap in a single operation will result in a server error. This is normal because the script timeouts thus you receive the error.

For this reason JSitemap has the precaching AJAX generation to generate by steps giant sitemaps. This is explained in the PDF docs at the paragraph 'Precaching and AJAX generation'.

If your final sitemap exceed the Google limit fo 50K links the sitemap must be exported as a splitted sitemap, and then submitted the sitemap XML index. Read the PDF docs at the paragraph 'Sitemap splitting'

Thus the correct steps are:

1. Generate the full sitemap with AJAX precaching
2. Export it with the splitting enabled
3. Upload all the chunks (XML files) to your server and submit the XML sitemap index to Google

We have generated sitemaps with 500.000 links with this technique, then splitted and exported in chunks of 40.000 links.

Optionally you could opt to use a cronjob to generate a big sitemap. This is explained at the paragraph 'Cronjobs usage'

NOTICE: the data source for your Kunena forum topics must be enabled only for XML sitemaps and excluded from the HTML one. It's not possible to include so many elements in a browser window.

Best regards,

John

Logged Logged  
Jean-Charles C-Jay
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Re:Sitemap xml results in 500 Error Karma: 0  
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I have an Internal Server Error even with Ajax Pre-caching : http://nimb.ws/95XibT

This error appears after 5 seconds.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
An internal server error is not helpful. It's the generic error thrown by the server. To identify the exact issue you have to check the server error log. It could be a memory limit issue, in such case you have to increase the PHP memory limit.

On the component side, you can try to decrease the precaching limit from 5000 links (default) to lower values (1000, 500, 100 etc)
Obviously the lower the number of links processed at each step, the lower will be the amount of resources requested... this is the main purpouse of ajax precaching.

Regards

Logged Logged  
Go to top