Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login to access forum.
Video chat connection problems (1 viewing) 
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Video chat connection problems
Agentica Ltd.
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Video chat connection problems Karma: 0  
A bit of a head scratcher here - but the I was easily able to install and configure the chat module. Text based chat works fine, but video and audio chat does not work - it will "dial" and maybe ring once and say "connection closed" or start to dial and then close the connection.

Permissions are wide open at the moment so anyone can chat. Using Chrome, tried fiddling with TURN settings, no luck.

Both PCs I'm connecting to are on the same LAN. NAT is configured by my ISP, unfortunately. However, other outbound services work (Skype, FaceTime)...

Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated!

-Jeff

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Offline
Re:Video chat connection problems Karma: 79  
Hi Jeff, the video chat is based on HTML5 WebRTC. Usually this kind of issues are due to the network topology such as NAT, Firewalls, blocked ports, etc

TURN servers are done to overcome NAT for example, but if you are on the same LAN this makes no sense because you should always be able to estabilish a direct connection without TURN, etc unless your local router is blocking in some way the connection or blocking with closed ports.

Performing a test on the demo area https://demo.storejextensions.org/jchatsocial_enterprise/ would help to ensure that the problem is due to your network and not to some other issue going on your website.

- John

Logged Logged  
Agentica Ltd.
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Re:Video chat connection problems Karma: 0  
Hi John - thanks for your fast response; once again this is appreciated very much.

Yes - this is a ports issue I think on the server. Can you recommend a port range and protocol to open to support this service? Some reading I've done suggest ports 1024 - 65535 UDP.

Can you elaborate?

Thanks

-Jeff

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Offline
Hi Jeff, as far as i know the WebRTC opens a random port between the range 50000 and 65535.

However this is done in the router behind which PCs are located. The server is not involved in this process because the connection with WebRTC is peer-to-peer. For this reason i said you that it's more likely an issue regarding your local LAN/Router.

John

Logged Logged  
Agentica Ltd.
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Re:Video chat connection problems Karma: 0  
I was able to connect to the video chat on your demo server and it worked. However with the same two computers (on the same LAN) I am not able to connect from my own site... Which has me thinking it's a site issue. The ports on the site are very restricted... That's why I'm guessing about it being a port issue with the server.

Please advise

Thanks

-J.

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Offline
If you are able to connect on our demo site, it could be something related to your website. But again, it's very weird because the web server is not involved in the WebRTC process, thus normally my site or your site should not make difference, only the LAN should make difference.

However there could be some javascript issue on the website, it would be better if you contact me by email providing an admin account. I will test it at my end too.

John

Logged Logged  
Go to top