Always display old chat? (1 viewing) 
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Always display old chat?
DG Media
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Always display old chat? Karma: 0  
Dear J!ExtensionsStore Team,

I am using the latest version of your JChat component and I really love it. Though I am running into a few problems and I really hope you can help me with them.

One of the problems is: Is there a way to always (!) display the old chat messages in the chat rooms or the general public chat? I am using the component on this site and the problem is, that each time I revisit the page, all the old chat messages are hidden. I can display them by clicking on the "green cross" ("Show old conversation" but I'd like to have this always displayed without having to click on the link first.

How can I achieve this?

Best regards,
Daniel

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Offline
Re:Always display old chat? Karma: 79  
Dear Daniel,

the green icon is done for this purpouse to download old messages history.

By default entering rooms or public chat will be downloaded messages exhanged in the latest 2 minutes.
If you want to increase this value, have a look at the following screenshot and change the highlighed setting based on your needs.
Setting 86400 seconds all the messages sent within the last day will be autodownloaded when entering rooms.
If your site exchanges a lot of messages having many users don't set a too high value, this could cause more bandwidth consumption.

Best regards,

John

Logged Logged  
DG Media
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Re:Always display old chat? Karma: 0  
I tried it but it unfortunately doesn't work.

These are my settings:

But on the front page everything's empty:

I need to click on the green cross to show the messages:

What I'd like to have though is that the whole system shows the messages instantly when visiting the page and opening the chat panel.

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Offline
If you need to show old messages always despite the fact that you enter a room, you should set the value on the other parameter named 'Max receive interval for public messages' instead of 'Interval for latest messages entering room'

This however will make it shows automatically old messages that are never been downloaded by a user. If you need to download old messages also if messages have already been download you need a little customization in the code.
Contact me by email in private for this.

Logged Logged  
DG Media
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Re:Always display old chat? Karma: 0  
Thanks for the support John, I changed the "Max receive interval for public messages(sec)" to the same number (604800) but no improvements. Does this also consoder messages already posted or will that only take care of new messages? Concerning the code changes, would you mind posting this here? Maybe it's interesting for other users at well.

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Offline
Yes as explained it affects only new messages.

To affect also old messages a code change is required.

Logged Logged  
Go to top