J!Extensions Store™
Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login to access forum.
Unique visitors stat not working as expected (1 viewing) 
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Unique visitors stat not working as expected
CitrusKiwi Web Solutions LLC
Junior Boarder
User Offline
Unique visitors stat not working as expected Karma: 0  
Thought I'd already posted this but cannot find it.

I looked at a report in the backend of one of the sites I manage a few days ago. It had 1 unique visitor and 138 visitors. Looking at the OS type, there were Apple products, windows 10, windows 7, and droid. ALL of the 138 entries had my server IP address. I know those visits weren't all me, as I loathe, and do not own, Apple products. And none of my computers run Windows 10. So something is reporting incorrectly with this metric.

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
Re:Unique visitors stat not working as expected Karma: 79  
Hi,

thinking a bit it's easy to undestand that the problem is not this metric nor the stats tracking of the component.
If all visitors is tracked with the same IP addres obviosluy it will be supposed to be a unique visitor.
The real problem is that different visitors can't access the website having the same IP address, so the problem should be researched rather outside the component and Joomla, i guess that there is a server firewall or similar that mask the IP address of visitors. Obviously i can't do nothing.

Logged Logged  
Junior Boarder
User Offline
Re:Unique visitors stat not working as expected Karma: 0  
I have been monitoring this since your last post. It's still happening on some sites but not others. I cannot determine any common thread at this point. I cannot be the server or none would work correctly - possibly a conflict with another component/module/plugin, but, as I said, I have been unable to determine any commonality between misbehaving sites.

So I disagree with the conclusion in your last post. It's definitely something on the site, not the server. If it was the server, I'd have all of them doing this.

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
Re:Unique visitors stat not working as expected Karma: 79  
The fact that this happens only on certain sites doesn't mean that it can't be a server related issue.
A server may have different and independent configurations for each subdomains, but posting here is not helpful only the hosting provider would be able to help in such case.

All i can say is that at PHP level the visitor IP address is accessed using the standard PHP global variable:

Code:

$_SERVER ['REMOTE_ADDR']
So if it's not altered by the server, even it sounds weird to me there could be some Joomla plugin installed altering that variable, but nobody can know.

Logged Logged  
Junior Boarder
User Offline
Re:Unique visitors stat not working as expected Karma: 0  
Thanks for the reply John. Each install on the server is exactly the same. I don't change any defaults. I have also checked the sever stats for some of the sites which jRealtime is reporting as all from my IP and they are definitely being recorded as the individual IP addresses of the visitors.

I'll try to determine if there's an add-on that is common to the failing sites that isn't on the ones that are reporting correctly.

Logged Logged  
Go to top