Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login to access forum.
Error 500 when exporting to PDF (1 viewing) 
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Error 500 when exporting to PDF
Third Hatch
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Error 500 when exporting to PDF Karma: 0  
Hello,

This just recently started happening after the upgrade to v2.1. We are trying to export global stats to PDF for one week of activity. The site processes the request for many minutes and ends with an error 500. This same process worked just fine last week, but this week is ending with this error.

Any ideas?

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
Re:Error 500 when exporting to PDF Karma: 79  
Hello William,

yes this is a problem due to scalability.

You find detailed explanations at this FAQ address:
http://storejoomla.org/faq/my-stats-report-hangs-and-doesn-t-complete-why.html

best regards

John

Logged Logged  
Third Hatch
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Re:Error 500 when exporting to PDF Karma: 0  
Thanks for the quick response. I have looked at that article.

My server is configured to allow 256MB and 10 minutes of processing. The database only has roughly 40 days of data in it. We average 700 visitors per week. So, if this is a scalability issue, I believe the issue lies in the initial database foundation of the component. We had over 6 months of data in the 1.0 version of this component previously and it still provided reports and PDFs but just took a lot of process time.

I will try increasing memory and script time again to see if I get better results. However, I highly recommend streamlining these processes as much as possible. Many sites are looking to this component for historical data and reports that cannot be acquired anywhere else. You have a hot product here. I think it just needs to be made more efficient.

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
Thanks for your suggestions William, i appreciate.

The weird thing is that in the version 1.0 the process was even heavier than in the latest release. And also your site has not so much visits, also compared to server resources.

I don't think that the database foundation of the component could be more lightweight, it uses a single and simple table
called #__jrealtime_serverstats that you can see using for example phpMyAdmin.

By the way about the PDF report generation, the main problem is that it uses a famous third party library TCPDF, so we have no direct control of this code and as a result of our tests the translations of data to PDF requires resources.

A good alternative could be add a different format, i mean exporting data in Excel documents. We have planned to run tests for this and add in next version, hopefully this process can be less resource intensive.

Logged Logged  
Third Hatch
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Re:Error 500 when exporting to PDF Karma: 0  
Yes, an export to csv would be useful. Probably a lot less resource intensive.

One other function I would suggest is to put an option to disable the Clean Cache buttons in the Configuration section. We have had people accidentally click these buttons while trying to export to PDF, which is why we currently only have 40 days of data.

Thanks again for the help!

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
I wrote down your suggestion, for sure i will include in next release.

For the moment if you need i can disable the button on your site...
just to be sure someone click it again

Logged Logged  
Go to top