J!Extensions Store™
Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login to access forum.
Re:Crashes when trying to export PDF (1 viewing) 
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Re:Crashes when trying to export PDF
CitrusKiwi Web Solutions LLC
Junior Boarder
User Offline
[CLOSED]Crashes when trying to export PDF Karma: 0  
I have one site that crashes every time I try to do an Export Fullstats PDF. It's also not sending the weekly traffic reports - I assume for the same reason. I just don't know the reason. If I ask it to export, it sits there for a while, working, working, then says that the site didn't send any data and gives a 500 error.

It manages a CSV or XLS full stat export, or a PDF export of part reports (visits by user/IP, etc). I'm guessing it's a timeout issue even though the traffic numbers aren't high. And it can handle 2 days of full stats Export PDF, but not more. Other istes have no issues.

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Offline
Re:Crashes when trying to export PDF Karma: 79  
Refer to this FAQ: http://storejextensions.org/faq/my-stats-report-hangs-and-doesn-t-complete-why.html

Timeout or memory limit issue due to too much data.

Logged Logged  
Junior Boarder
User Offline
Re:Crashes when trying to export PDF Karma: 0  
UPDATE:

On another site with reasonable traffic I had this same issue. Traffic is not massive - 2.4k of unique visitors every month, so not a high traffic site.

I didn't realize that the monthly reports were failing due to exceeding memory limit. Even a Full Stats by Week crashed it which REALLY surprised me. We're talking 826 pages and 468 unique visitors. Memory limit WAS 128Mb. I am surprised that such a small report would take so many resources.

I had to increase memory limit to 200Mb to make the weekly report export to PDF. Even then it took 2-3 minutes to generate.

So this is an FYI to anyone suffering these issues. You need TONS in your PHP memory limit or it'll never work.

Logged Logged  
Junior Boarder
User Offline
Re:Crashes when trying to export PDF Karma: 0  
Sadly, I have to stop using this extension. I can't get it to generate a PDF report. Even small amounts of traffic cause it to crash when trying to generate a PDF export. Part of my whole package is sending clients monthly traffic reports and no one is getting them anymore.

A year or so ago it seemed to manage most clients. Just now I tried to do a Full Stats PDF export for about 500 unique visitors. It crashed with 128Mb of mem_limit. So I'm forced to find an alternative.

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Offline
Re:Crashes when trying to export PDF Karma: 79  
The PDF generation is an optional feature that, as said over and over, requires a lot of PHP resources for the conversion and is suitable only for few data. I even wrote a FAQ on this argument, i don't want to repeat this over and over.

However this is not a valid reason to stop using the extension, reports are mainly thought to be generated and sent in lightweight Excel or CSV formats instead of PDF.

If this is not enough for your needs, so yes stop using it and search for an alternative. But i'm not aware of a lightweight PDF conversion in PHP of this kind out there.

Logged Logged  
Go to top