J!Extensions Store™
Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login to access forum.
Re:Share on Facebook embeds meta data from the site and not the shared page (1 viewing) 
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Re:Share on Facebook embeds meta data from the site and not the shared page
HURI
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Share on Facebook embeds meta data from the site and not the shared page Karma: 0  
Hi,
I have noticed that the Share on Facebook (Post to Facebook) pulls meta data not from the shared page but the the website meta data description. Can it be fixed? I want the meta description for the page to show there. See the screenshot attached.
Thank you.

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
Re:Share on Facebook embeds meta data from the site and not the shared page Karma: 79  
Hi,

you need to check what's the description for that shared page and have an extension to manage it.
With this plugin, if the page is a Joomla article, you can activate the option 'Open Graph description detection'
In such way the og:description will be taken by the article text.

Don't forget to use the Facebook debugger when changing contents to be shared, to test and refresh the social snippet. https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object/

Logged Logged  
HURI
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Re:Share on Facebook embeds meta data from the site and not the shared page Karma: 0  
I have 'Open Graph description detection' enabled but it pulls description from the website not the page.

Logged Logged  
John Dagelmore
Admin
User Online Now
Re:Share on Facebook embeds meta data from the site and not the shared page Karma: 79  
So ( as i said in previous post ) it means that it's not a view managed by this plugin, it's not a Joomla article. You need an extension to manage the description for this case.

Logged Logged  
HURI
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
Re:Share on Facebook embeds meta data from the site and not the shared page Karma: 0  
it is a Joomla article. What extension do I need to manage the description for the article? I thought 'Fast Social Share' extension manages it. I am confused, sorry.

Logged Logged  
HURI
Fresh Boarder
User Offline
I went to the Facebook's Open Graph Object Debugger https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object/ then put the URL for the page and clicked on 'Fetch new scrape information'. That refreshed Facebook's cache and the meta description for the page showed up. But - I have to do this for every page on my site! - or will Facebook fetch new scrape information on its own at some point in the future?

Logged Logged  
Go to top